Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Lily Cate one day old...1lb. 6oz.
Lily Cate...one year old...14lbs

Lily Cate...two years old...22lbs




I can't even believe that my tiny miracle baby is two years old today! I have been so emotional leading up to this day. A part of me is sad because my last baby is getting so big and growing up so fast. And another part of me is so filled with amazement at God's grace and work in Lily's short life. This morning I couldn't even get through my prayers without just breaking down. I was so overwhelmed with how many people sent messages remembering it was Lily's birthday before I even mentioned it. It just reminded me of how her tiny beginning was such a testimony of God's grace and mercy and how even the tiniest and youngest person can be used by God.


It really seems like yesterday that this whole saga began. Being put on bed rest after having a recovery cerclage placed and spending several days in the hospital on that lovely magnesium drip. I remember being in bed and thinking I can do this. Whatever it takes I can keep her in as long as she needs to be. Then barely two weeks later Houston gets hit with a hurricane and everything is a mess and so crazy. I remember going to the doctors office for my first appointment after being on bed rest and knowing that something was wrong but never would have dreamed it was that wrong. I will absolutely never forget the doctor looking at me after examining me and saying her bag of water was coming through my cerclage and asking what I wanted to do. I remember thinking what do you mean what do I want to do...I want to keep her. Whatever it takes I'll do it.




I'll never forget the high risk doctor assigned to me at the hospital downtown saying that he would be surprised if I made it another day without having her and how annoyed I was at his negative attitude. I will also never forget the NICU doctor/resident coming and going over statistics on Lily's chances of surviving being born this early. As soon as he left the room I told Greg to throw it away! I wish I could show him how wrong he was!!!




I remember seeing her for the first time and thinking am I dreaming? Is this really my baby? I personally was really sick/weak at the time (although I didn't know it yet) and it was just so hard to process anything those first few weeks. But somehow I never doubted that God was with her and that I would take her home!




And now my feisty 1lb 6oz. baby is almost 22lbs and absolutely doing amazing. She is talking like crazy and even started asking "Why". Her favorite phrases are "I do it" and "I got it." She is fearless, an amazing climber, very funny, she loves being outside and getting dirty and absolutely LOVES her big brother. She is finally on the growth charts and has blown every medical professionals mind at how well she looks and how well she has developed. There is no other explanation except that she is a miracle of our loving, healing, powerful God. To Him be the Glory forever and ever!



3 comments:

Linda Grinnell said...

Rejoicing with you : ) !!! Love, Linda (Grinnell)

Anonymous said...

God is Good! When I first read your blog I never thought I would go thru this myself but I did and I am. My micro-preemie was born at 26 weeks weighing 1lb. 4oz and today she is 15 months weighing 17lbs.....She is a miracle just like Lily.

Anonymous said...

Holley ~ Just read your blog for the first time in a long time! How incredible .. love your writings ... always giving God the glory! So wish I could meet this little miracle in person one day soon... You are a precious family.
jennifer krutz