Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Happy first birthday Lily!

Lily Cate Dickinson...9-22-08...1lb. 6oz.

Lily 9-20-09, over 14lbs.


Lily's birthday cake, and cupcake

getting ready for some cake...


Wow, I can't even believe that it has been a year since Lily was born! Is that even possible? In so many ways it seems like it was only yesterday that Houston was a mess from hurricane Ike and I was on the phone with Greg calling from my hospital bed telling him that Lily was coming. I can still remember exactly how I was feeling, so many thoughts, emotions, questions going through my mind in a matter of seconds. I can honestly say that even though that was probably the scariest moment of my life, I never doubted that I would have my precious baby girl and that I would have her complete and would bring her home. In the midst of so many doctors asking me a million questions all at once, IVs being started, and being prepped for surgery, God gave me a peace that everything was going to be ok. I don't even think I realized then what was really happening. I think for a long time, even after she was born, I was in complete denial that I really had a tiny preemie baby. Of course I suffered horrible guilt, wondering if I had only done this, or if I hadn't done that, then maybe she wouldn't have come so early. But Greg was always quick to remind me that this was God's plan and that it didn't matter what I did, He had bigger plans for her.

While it seems like it was only yesterday, it also seems like it was forever ago. When I think back to when I first went on bed rest. I had a 2 1/2 year old that was still sleeping in a crib and wasn't potty trained. By the time Lily came home, Thomas was completely potty trained (thanks to Greg and his school), and sleeping in a toddler bed. I felt like he grew up before my eyes. It seems like forever ago, when Stephanie, Lily's nurse was calling me to tell me that Lily was opening her eyes for the very first time. I remember how I felt holding that tiny little body for the very first time. Her sweet little head not even filling my hand and even then filling her feisty little self kicking me as I held her. Wow, so much to remember, so many experiences, but most of all I remember how truly faithful our loving God was and is today. Several times today, I just started to cry amazed at how truly blessed we are and how He completely delivered our precious little baby and how she avoided so many major problems that she should have had. It also made me think about how much I don't deserve His grace or His unconditional love and how much I know I let Him down. But yet He still loves me just like He loves each of you. I did nothing to deserve it.
I wanted to take this time to thank all of you who so faithfully prayed for our family and the specific requests that we had. You all have been a huge part of Lily's healing and growth and we will forever be grateful. I also wanted to thank the amazing doctor's and nurses that took such special care of her while in and out of the hospital. I know without a doubt that we were in Houston so that Lily would have the best possible care, and she did. To Jacqui, Stephanie, Chelsea, Dr. Wong, Dr. Jimenez, and Dr. Nawab, and the amazing staff at Children's Memorial Hermann Hospital, I will never be able to express all the gratitude I have for all of you. You all are amazing at what you do and you are truly changing lives every minute of every day. I thank God for you and for placing you in my life and Lily's. May He bless you in all that you do!
Ok, so sorry for the emotional stuff...this past Sunday we celebrated Lily's birthday with a lot of family and friends at Greg's parents house on Lake Martin. Even though the weather wasn't perfect and Lily wasn't feeling the best, it was a very special time for us and our whole family. I will post more pics of her party soon.
"I will give thanks to the Lord with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders.
I will be glad and exult in You; I will sing praise to Your name, O most High." Psalm 9:1-2
I read this verse a few days before Lily was born, and it is my hope and prayer that I will always be quick to tell of all that He has done for me and the miracle story of my sweet baby girl. Praise God from whom all blessings flow...

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

Tears of joy! What a blessing to be able to read about all the great things God has done/is doing in your lives. It has been such a blessing to me to read about sweet Lily and your faith in the Lord! It reminds me to thank Him each and every day how much I am undeserving of His great love and mercy. We are all so blessed!
~Marilyn Hawkins Watson

Anonymous said...

Hey Dickson Family,

I am a co-worker with a friend of yours, Whitney Kerr and I can remember this day too like it was yesterday. Many prayers came from our office and my church and it has been a huge honor and blessing to continue to read this story about your sweet family. Thanks for allowing us to pray for your sweet family. Happy Birthday Lily!

April Jeff